1. Spinal Cord Injuries - Result from accidents or trauma, causing lasting damage. Permanent loss of strength, sensation, and function below the injury site is common.
2. Muscular Dystrophy - Encompasses diseases leading to muscle loss and progressive weakening. Gene mutations disrupt protein production, affecting muscle health. While incurable, therapy and medication can slow disease progression.
3. Cerebral Palsy - A congenital disorder affecting movement, muscle tone, coordination, or posture due to abnormal brain development. Symptoms, including exaggerated reflexes and involuntary motions, appear early in childhood.
4. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) - A neurodegenerative disease impacting nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. Progressive motor neuron degeneration necessitates wheelchair use.
5. Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Targets the central nervous system, affecting the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. MS requires wheelchair use due to its impact on mobility.
6. Chronic Illness Warriors - Various illnesses, including autoimmune diseases, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson's, diabetes, stroke, paralysis, arthritis, and chronic pain conditions, may lead to wheelchair dependence.
7. Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) - Results from physical trauma to the head or body, causing injury to the brain. TBI may require wheelchair use for individuals facing mobility challenges.
8. Amputeess - Loss or removal of a body part can result in wheelchair dependence.
9. Age-Related Wheelchair Use - As muscles and joints weaken with age, seniors may require wheelchairs to maintain mobility and participate in activities.
10. Temporary Wheelchair Use - Individuals may temporarily need wheelchairs due to operations, broken bones, or recovery from injuries.
11. Other Reasons for Wheelchair Use - A wide variety of reasons may lead to wheelchair use based on individual needs and circumstances.
Join The Sweethearts Foundation:
As we strive to change lives with the gift of movement, we need your help! Each #topsandtags recycled through the Sweethearts Foundation provides necessary resources for individuals with diverse wheelchair requirements. 💙🦽